Publications & Maps
USGS Projects in Afghanistan have produced a substantial number of publications, maps, and other documents. These have been grouped here into categories for ease of reference; within each category, they are ordered by date. For official USGS publications, the type of publication is indicated in parentheses behind the title and may be abbreviated as follows: OFR = Open-File Report; DS = Data Series; SIR = Scientific Investigations Report; SIM = Scientific Investigations Map; FS = Fact Sheet. Links to USGS publications go to the USGS publications website at www.pubs.usgs.gov.
Hyperspectral Surface Materials Maps of Afghanistan
Surface Materials Map of Afghanistan: Iron-bearing Minerals and Other Materials
These two surface materials maps of Afghanistan were created using hyperspectral (HyMap) data.
Quadrangle Map Series Viewer
This interactive viewer makes it possible to easily survey and access 4 series of 1:250,000-scale quadrangle maps (geologic, topographic, natural-color, false-color) covering the entire country of Afghanistan.
The series of 1:250,000-scale quadrangle maps can also be accessed through this link or through the links to individual maps under Geospatial Infrastructure Development below.
USGS Afghanistan Project Products Summary
Publications & Maps, by Project:
- Airborne Geophysical Survey
- Capacity and Institution Building
- Earthquake Hazards
- Geospatial Infrastructure Development
- Hyperspectral Data
- Oil and Natural Gas
- A User-Friendly, Keyword-Searchable Database of Geoscientific References Through 2007 for Afghanistan (USGS Data Series 323)
- Database of Geoscientific References Through 2006 for Afghanistan, Version 1 (USGS OFR 2006-1370)
- Geology, Water, and Wind in the Lower Helmand Basin, Southern Afghanistan (USGS SIR 2006-5182)
- Afghanistan-Iran-Turkey, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1150. 321 p.
- Tin and Related Elements in Sediments and Beach Sands from Afghanistan, Iran AND Turkey, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 79–1188. 276 p.
- Compilation of Streamflow Records, Helmand River Valley and Adjacent Areas, Afghanistan 1961–1968, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 74–46. 144 p.
- Program of Ground Water Resources Investigations for the Helmand-Arghandab Valley Authority, Afghanistan, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 73-136. 46 p.
USGS News Releases
- USGS Unveils How Earthquakes Pose Risks to Afghanistan
- USGS and the Government of Afghanistan Unveil Non-Fuel Mineral Resource Assessment of Afghanistan
- Significant Potential for Undiscovered Resources in Afghanistan
*Download Acrobat® Reader, available at no charge from Adobe Systems, to view and print PDFs.